Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Samsonite losing the grip


I’ve been a fan of Samsonite products for quite some time now. Usually the price-quality ratio is really good and I must say I love Samsonite’s worldwide guarantee.

So the other day I started to look for a replacement for my old Samsonite cabin trolley. It has been a true retainer and I’ve been more than pleased with it. Since the old one was a softsided version, not protecting the luggage in the same sense as a hardsided, I decided to look for one with hard shells. Indeed I have to admit that I was partly influenced by the Samsonite Cosmolite clip I found on Youtube (not only rational reasoning as you can see J).



After seeing the clip I was sold (you have to admit that the durability is quite impressive). I just had to get me one of those. So off I went, whistling the Postman Pat theme, in for some serious shopping!

My expectations were skyrocketing when entering the store. At first glimpse the almighty Cosmolite looked astonishing but after a few seconds of scrutiny the hard reality hit me straight in the face. A perfect product, in all other ways, was being ruined by a design flaw. Why, oh, why, dear engineers at Samsonite, did you not add the top handle found on most cabin trolleys?


Without the top handle the trolley is not as easy to handle, standing in a crowded aisle, as one with a top handle. For me this is a deal-breaker on a cabin trolley. What do you think, with or without top handle?

Cosmolite picture from: www.samsonite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment